Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoted to 3rd Dan

Hey there,

This is Hardball, I haven't posted here in ages. I just got promoted to 3rd Dan. In Classical Jujitsu there are at least 3 ways to get promoted past Shodan. 1) Participate in a tournament 2) test 3) Teaching hours.

I'm proud to say that I am now 3rd Dan. That makes me a better Sensei.

TommyCaro.com :: Self Defense Training, Jujitsu Training, Black Belt Training, and More!

Congrats bro. that shows true dedication to your art.

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes KOTF. How is the old forum crowd? I see from glancing that Jubagi and Tanto are still around. Any other old timers still posting?

Comment

Congratulations Hardball! Welcome back!

Comment

Thanks Aseepish. I see a lot of the old timers are still here. Best of luck to everyone in 2011.

Comment

Right now I work with a lot of young kids thus my focus is primarilly on basic moves, self defense and how to deal with bullys. The Katas I do teach come from the Kodokan Judo text and my favorites are Kime No Kata, Nage No Kata and Katame No Kata. I turned my basement into a studio and I teach mainly private and semi private lessons. One day I may get a building but we will see what the Heavens have in store for me and My Art. Happy New Year.

Comment

The promotions get harder to come by the further you go up. If I were to make 5th Dan I wouldn't expect it before 10 years. So many guys are "Creating their own Systems" and Promoting themselves to "Founder and 10th Dan". I don't think I could ever go the self promotion route. The guy who promoted me is a 70 year old 10th Dan.

What does it all mean? In my case, it just means I'm a better Sensei. LOL

Comment

HI guys,
                basically dan word is used in traditional martial arts of japenese.
                Although the dan system is distinctly Japanese, it has been adopted by many other martial arts styles.....
                and thanx for sharing your comments...

Comment

Happy New Year, a year later. I finally got my 3rd Dan paperwork from the AJA. The teaching biz is slow right now. I'm hoping Hollywood will put our more martial arts flicks which always helps the teaching biz.

TommyCaro.com :: Self Defense Training, Jujitsu Training, Black Belt Training, and More!

Comment

Thanks Tanto, I'm in the local phone book which helps. How is your Judo coming along?

Comment

Originally posted by Tant01
                      LOL Rusty as ever. Still teaching privately on the side, mostly for fun. I'll never be a pro like you Mr. C.
                      Yea, teaching is one way to keep up your skills. Do you have mats?

Comment

Yea, I had used mats for years. Just got a new set in Dec. I've seen the crash pads too. Speaking of kata, have you checked out Nage No Kata from Kodokan Judo?

Comment

Man you know your stuff!!! Left and right side throwing is the way to go. Katame No Kata is nice too!!

Comment

Working...
                          X