Bruce Lee- Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Lee- Atheist?

Over the past few years I have seen his name appear on various "Famous Atheists" lists. It seems the belief that Mr. Lee was an atheist stems from two comments he made at different times in which he said he did not have a religious affiliation and another time when he said he really did not believe in God.

I know Bruce Lee's numerous philosophical influences , both Western and Asian, Classic and Contemporary have been discussed a great deal here, so I will not rehash them again. I would point out that according to the likes of Christopher Hitchens, an atheist not only does not believe in God or "gods" , but also completely rejects ALL forms of the Supernatural. From what I know of Bruce Lee's interest in Taoism, Chan/Zen Buddhism, and certain aspects of Confucianism, I find it hard to believe he TOTALLY rejected the supernatural. I have no doubts he did not believe in the concept of the personal Judeo-Christian God, but do not think he could be defined as being a complete atheist either.

Any opinions about this?

according to one atheist website: "As he developed Jeet Kune Do he cited influence from Taoism, Jiddu Krishnamurti and Buddhism, but was himself an atheist who expressed disbelief in God."

the term atheism is defined differently by different people. For some it means philosophical naturalism: a dismissal of any supernatural phenomenon. For others, it denies any God or gods but allows for some kind of transcendent reality (as in the case of Buddhism). Attributing Bruce Lee's martial arts prowess to his supposed atheism, however, would be a non sequitur.

I would agree with you that Bruce Lee's worldview was influenced by Eastern philosophies (Buddhism and Taoism are atheist/godless religions); especially the detachment from the ego and expectations taught in those traditions. This kind of training, i understand, has some efficacy in sport psychology and it's an aspect that Lee seems to promote in movies such as "Enter the Dragon" and "Game of Death."

unfortunately, people consider atheism as the ultimate stage-- that atheists can't change their mind. Not so: C.S. Lewis was an atheist until JRR Tolkien explained the difference between the Gospel story and myth. Anthony Flew was a noted atheist philosopher who became a theist after recognizing that the complexity of DNA required an intelligent agent. Even Christopher Hitchen's brother, Peter, a committed atheist and Marxist, had a religious awakening and returned to Christianity. Peter Hitchens wrote a book called "the Rage Against God," I hope I can get around to reading it soon.
    Last edited by nasigoreng; 05-20-2011, 11:38 AM. Reason: content

Comment

I like him, I was his loyal fans! ! ! !

Comment

This kind of training, i understand, has some efficacy in sport psychology and it's an aspect that Lee seems to promote in movies such as "Enter the Dragon" and "Game of Death." unfortunately, people consider atheism as the ultimate stage-- that atheists can't change their mind.

Comment

Whatever he thought about religion, what does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by nasigoreng View Post
            (Buddhism and Taoism are atheist/godless religions).
            No, they aren't.

Comment

This is news about Bruce Lee for me. I sure will explore more about this. I find it very interesting.

Comment

Does it really matter? Haters will say whatever when a man can't defend himself.

Comment

He is the true Legend i really like him alot

Comment

i m a big fan's of him he is the most famous fighter of all time

Comment

Working...
                    X