Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear: Does it affect ability?

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first post on this list, I look forward to making many more!

Fear in martial arts has interested me since I began training. I've just launched a website exploring fear as a martial artist, and I would love honest feedback from the community. Yes, it promotes an eBook on overcoming fear in martial arts, but I sincerely believe my fellow practitioners will find it useful information.

Never Freeze in a Fight Again

If you're curious, please take a look. I'm very interested in your opinion and personal experience.
    Respectfully,
    Mike

That kicks ass.

Comment

I think there are good lessons to be learned in this subject

Comment

Bravery isn't about not being afraid (that's just plain stupidity) it's about overcoming your fear and doing what you have to do anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKerwin View Post
          Hi Everyone,
          This is my first post on this list, I look forward to making many more!

Fear in martial arts has interested me since I began training. I've just launched a website exploring fear as a martial artist, and I would love honest feedback from the community. Yes, it promotes an eBook on overcoming fear in martial arts, but I sincerely believe my fellow practitioners will find it useful information.

Never Freeze in a Fight Again

If you're curious, please take a look. I'm very interested in your opinion and personal experience.
          Respectfully,
          Mike
          Honestly? I see you trying to make a few bucks. Your post amounts to spam and thanks for saying what it was really about. You prey on the fearful and victims. Frankly, I could care less if you were selling gold rope or a some magic potion to make chicks fall in love with me. LOL I found the replies interesting and hope you'll contribute more to our forum.

You might enjoy knowing you're not the first martial artist to overcome the base instincts hard wired into our advanced brains.

Check out some of Peyton Quinn's work. He was a pioneer in adrenal stress response.

Comment

I think its important to spar as much as you can, that can help master the nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by GQchris View Post
              I think its important to spar as much as you can, that can help master the nerves.
              It's not so much about mastering nerves in my opinion. Sparring is good I agree, but you have to train your "flinch" reaction to be an attack instead of just standing there going "Oh Shit!!"

Comment

Fear is another state of mind, which in access can degrade your confidence. I would say, overcome the fear with self confidence. Then no one would be able to beat you in future!

Comment

I think for saying what it was actually about. You prey on the fearful and victims. Frankly, I could care less if you were trading gold cord or a some illusion potion to make chicks drop in love with me. LOL I discovered the answers intriguing and wish you'll assist more to our forum

Comment

Yes, fear affects your ability to perform things. I can relate to this experience because the first time i got this job in writing, I have many fears running inside my mind. Many "what if's". Then later on, i learned to face my fears and i was able to write well. If you want to see what im working on here is a link from my website.

URL DELETED. (no spam)
                    Last edited by Tant01; 07-26-2011, 09:49 AM. Reason: Spam

Comment

I think the book "On Combat" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman may be something you may want to look at.

Comment

Oh...as for people who address this type of thing explicitly in their stuff...Richard Dimitri of Senshido, Geoff Thompson, Tony Blauer, Paul Vunak, etc etc etc... I really like the Senshido guys' stuff personally. Hands down current favorite RBSD guy. Think he's dead on about a lot of stuff. Oh...also look up the book "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker. Good book.

Comment

Working...
                        X