Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video of my Thaiboxing Instructor Test...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of my Thaiboxing Instructor Test...

Hi,

Ajarn Chai asked that I make my test available via video, so here it is....

Test rules can be viewed here: http://www.thaiboxing.com/test_guidelines.php

At the time of my test which was in 1990, holders did not wear shin pads and there was no headgear. The requirement was 60 kicks and 40 knees per 3 minute round.

The holder for my first round was Mike Parker and the second round holder was Terry Gibson.

The test was held at an international martial arts camp in Wisconsin promoted by Pete Hetricks. Guro Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell, Paul DeThouars, Burt Poe and Ajarn Chai all taught.

Four people took their test that day...my good friend and training partner Dean Lessei, Dave Leitch, John Fehling and myself. Greg Nelson, Burt Richardson and a few other guys were holders. The only person to pass that day was Dave. Dean retook his second test with me in Atlanta and passed and I'm not sure what John did.

On to the fun...

View

Tim,
    Do you have footage of the technique portion of your test? If so, is this something too that Master Chai would be fine with you posting? I would love to see the difference in technique between your test and mine. I know Ajarn Chai likes to change things periodically and I assume from the early 90's to the 2000's things have changed a bit!

Gruhn

Comment

Hi,

I do have that footage. When I get a chance I will capture and upload it.

Tim

Comment

Good Heart, Tim

Thanks for showing this, it is a good representation of the way the test used to be, and also demonstrates the progression from the time when Master Chai used to hold until now. When I tested there were no knees, just double kicking when Master Chai asked you to by kicking at your legs: if he kicked with his right, you jumped back and double-kicked with your right; if he kicked inside your left, you switch-kicked. Anyone who has had Master Chai hold the pads for them will know how difficult this is (impossible if he wishes it to be. He must have knocked me down 3 or 4 times at least). Your test also shows, I believe, the respect Terry Gibson had for you, giving you an honest test while not trying to kill you...lol I think the kicks to your inside thighs hurt a lot, but those 2 body shots early on took all your wind. Nowadays heart doesn't seem to count for as much, the test is more a demonstration of a person's physical abilities. Rarely anymore do I see people get up 3 or 4 times to continue their test. Master Chai and I have talked of this endlessly. The older tests were when he was looking for his personal representatives, tests now are of people who want to be instructors, a small but important distinction. I am not saying my test was any harder than today's tests, just different. I really doubt any holders now will allow a testee to get off 20 knees at one time. I agree with Master Chai when he says the older tests were more mental, the new tests more physical. But the principle remains the same: there are 2 people being tested, one to see if he knows how to use muay Thai to attack (the holder) and one finding out if he can defend himself from a determined attacker for 3 minutes, then doing it again...

Comment

Originally posted by chalambok
          I think the kicks to your inside thighs hurt a lot, but those 2 body shots early on took all your wind.
          The leg kicks did hurt a lot. I ended up going to physical therapy for 6 months. The periosteum on my outer left thigh got broken which allowed the bone forming cells (osteoblasts) to leak out into the muscle contusion resulting in bone growth inside my thigh muscle! The two body shots didn't knock the wind out of me but they sure did hurt! I was actually surprised with the power he had in those strikes...he sure could hit HARD! The cumulative strikes definitely drained my energy.

I did not pass that test. Ajarn Chai called me a couple months after the test and convinced me to take it again. He said he wanted to make sure his instructors had "heart". So, within a couple weeks after I completed my therapy I flew to Atlanta and did it again with Dick Harrell as my holder. That test wasn't much fun either but I passed.

Comment

Wow, young Tim!

Thanks for posting those. You looked like you were in some real pain on the round two footage. Was the injury to your periosteum the direct result of the test, or did the test aggravate a preexisting injury?

Comment

Originally posted by Britt
              Wow, young Tim!
              I'm still young!!

The leg injury was a brand new injury as a result of the test.

Tim

Comment

Tim,
                I am looking forward to the technique footage. I respect how humble you are in first off, posting the footage and second admitting that you did not pass that test. A great amount of respect I have for you Sir.

Gruhn

Comment

Thank you Ryan!

Comment

Damn he really punished your legs!

But I don't really get the idea of having the test... in that form at least. I mean the trainer already knows your level both in sparring/match and technique wise, there's no need for a test is there? Just curious.
                    Also I can't see it being worth the damage you got.
                    Anyway, nice to see the vid! Keep them coming.

Oh btw, how long had you been training when you did that test? And what do you gain by passing?
                    I don't know if they use those kind of tests here in Sweden in muay thai. I train kickboxing that's why I don't know.

Comment

Nice, Tim.

I've only heard about the test from Pat & Robert, but that's awesome. I cringed for you during the 2nd round....

Comment

Originally posted by gabbah
                        But I don't really get the idea of having the test... in that form at least. I mean the trainer already knows your level both in sparring/match and technique wise, there's no need for a test is there?
                        Also, the test doesn't prove whether or not you are a good instructor. However, Ajarn Chai wanted to test my heart and desire before making me an instructor. To him that is very important. Also at the time, Guro Dan Inosanto required certification through the Thaiboxing Association before he would make someone an instructor. He only wanted instructors in his organization that could pass the test as it proves a certain dedication, toughness and heart. He has since dropped that requirement realizing that the test is not for everyone.

Originally posted by gabbah
                        Also I can't see it being worth the damage you got.
                        Anyway, nice to see the vid! Keep them coming. Oh btw, how long had you been training when you did that test? And what do you gain by passing?
                        In some ways it was definitely worth it. It forced me to train very hard to reach a goal. It was a good gut check. In the second round after being kicked down several times I knew I was not going to be able to pass. Many people have commented that I should have just stayed down and avoided the beating. To me, that would have been worse than not passing. I would rather fail the test than to fail myself. I'm glad I did the test. I'm also glad I don't have to do it a third time!!

I began my martial arts training in 1980 with boxing, kickboxing and judo (growing up in Iowa I often entered wrestling tournaments while in lower grade school, but I don't count that as I got my butt kicked too often). So, I had been training for 10 years prior to the test. In 1984 I attended my first seminar with Ajarn Chai and it was also that same year that I began private training daily with two of Ashihara's black belts from Japan. Much of it was very similar to Thaiboxing and the sparring was done full contact with no pads (no face punching). We would also include punching to the face with gloves on. That training I got with the two Ashihara guys really helped my development. I took daily beatings from them!

The main benefit I got from passing the test is a huge sense of accomplishment.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Mousel
                          Also, the test doesn't prove whether or not you are a good instructor. However, Ajarn Chai wanted to test my heart and desire before making me an instructor. To him that is very important. Also at the time, Guro Dan Inosanto required certification through the Thaiboxing Association before he would make someone an instructor. He only wanted instructors in his organization that could pass the test as it proves a certain dedication, toughness and heart.

The main benefit I got from passing the test is a huge sense of accomplishment.

Tim
                          Ok then I get it, and agree. And you did have lots of heart.

Comment

Hmmmm...Thank you for the video... I know that Guro Dan at one point in time wanted people to do that, but I don't see what Pendakar Paul was there for a kickboxing test when that is a art that he has nothing to do with... also I did not see him on the vid...

Ps... On a side notes . i noticed the only one you gave respect to with the proper title is Guro Dan, just wondering why take care and thanks for the vids

Comment

I have high respect for all the people I mentioned, I referred to them the way I know them. Didn't put any thought into it and no disrespect was intended to anyone.

Just because Pendekar Paul wasn't in the video doesn't mean he wasn't there! There are a lot of people on the backside of the camera that you don't see. The reason he was there is because he was teaching Pentjak Silat at the week long international martial arts camp.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X