Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fernando Vargas Vs Ricardo Mayorga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fernando Vargas Vs Ricardo Mayorga

    This is going to be one of those fun fights. You know, where two guys get in the ring and try to beat the hell out of each other. I can't pick a winner because both are pretty much scrubs at this point, but I do believe that Vargas is the better boxer. Then again, Mayorga has shown more heart.

    I don't care who wins. It would be something if these guys came out and put on a Gatti/Ward type bout, but I suspect that it'll be more like a Don Frye/Yoshihiro Takayama fight. Two guys blasting each other with everything they've got.

    I LOVED the pre-fight hype. They were cursing at each other in Spanish and talking trash. They both know they need a payday so they went all out to sell this fight. Hilarious.

    Don't miss this one on 9/08/07/

  • #2
    Even scrubs can be exciting especially if they are throwing the big bombs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Hardball View Post
      Even scrubs can be exciting especially if they are throwing the big bombs.
      Absolutely. Gatti/Ward was a match between a C and D fighter, but it was by far that best fight of that year. It doesn't take very skilled boxers to put on great matches. Just a willingness to fight, the heart to keep going once you're rocked, and the desire to finish strong and maybe, just maybe even win.

      Comment


      • #4
        i just hope Vargas performs much better than he did in the movie Alpha Dog starring justin timberlake

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 7r14ngL3Ch0k3 View Post
          i just hope Vargas performs much better than he did in the movie Alpha Dog starring justin timberlake
          I'm sitting here shocked to know that someone spent the two hours to watch it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Mayorga lives an idiots lifestyle(considering he's a pro athelete) with the smoking and drinking but he can sure nuff brawl. I hope the old Mayorga shows up to entertain the crowd with one of his big knockout performances.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hardball View Post
              Mayorga lives an idiots lifestyle(considering he's a pro athelete) with the smoking and drinking but he can sure nuff brawl. I hope the old Mayorga shows up to entertain the crowd with one of his big knockout performances.
              Take this into consideration Hardball:

              Mayorga's only notable victories are over Vernon Forrest in their first match, and Andrew Lewis who wasn't much of a boxer from the beginning. He was easily outboxed by Forrest in their rematch, but the judges gave him the nod. He was then made to look clumsy against Spinks. And then he lost to every major player since then.

              Even if the old Mayorga showed up, he's only got a chance to win if Vargas doesn't bring his A game. Vargas, unlike Mayorga has shown true ability at times. IMO his shining moment was in defeat at the hands of Tito Trinidad. He(Vargas) was winning that match. Trinidad had to hit the kid with low blows just to keep him off of him. Vargas really rose to the occasion that night, but Trinidad had to get dirty to keep from getting knocked out.

              Watch that fight and you'll see the "old" Vargas at his finest.

              Either way, this fight is going to have fireworks, which is why the majority watch in the first place.

              Comment


              • #8
                In the words of the late Richard Pryor, Mayorga can knock a Mo-Fo through a brick wall.

                About the low blow.........It is my opinion that dirty tactics are the mark of a seasoned pro. Like the Marines, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Dirty tactics- like elbows, head butts and low blows have been part of boxing for years. I'm not really saying it's right but I am saying that it is a part of boxing. When you are in that ring and things get ugly, you gotta do whatever to save your arse. In fact, Iron Mike biteing on Holyfields ear was "in his mind", an answer to Evanders continuous head butts. You gotta remember, reputation, pride and big bucks are on the line. If the ref is not looking then I say go for it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Uke View Post
                  I'm sitting here shocked to know that someone spent the two hours to watch it.
                  i actually watched it twice, it was pretty funny, a bunch of rich white kids living in LA playing the dope game and end up killing a kid over 1,200 bucks, getting caught, pretty funny. Vargas still big in that.

                  waht weight is this fight at?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hardball View Post
                    In the words of the late Richard Pryor, Mayorga can knock a Mo-Fo through a brick wall.

                    About the low blow.........It is my opinion that dirty tactics are the mark of a seasoned pro. Like the Marines, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Dirty tactics- like elbows, head butts and low blows have been part of boxing for years. I'm not really saying it's right but I am saying that it is a part of boxing. When you are in that ring and things get ugly, you gotta do whatever to save your arse. In fact, Iron Mike biteing on Holyfields ear was "in his mind", an answer to Evanders continuous head butts. You gotta remember, reputation, pride and big bucks are on the line. If the ref is not looking then I say go for it.
                    I've gotta disagree here because where would it stop? Sure, it happens in boxing but is it really a part of boxing? Elbows, intentional headbutts, low blows ... its all the mark of fighters who can't win under the rules so they HAVE to cheat. If its all good then why not just wear brass knucles under the gloves? If its all good then why not just rub ether all over your gloves? If its all good then why not just slip a mickey in the other guy's water bottle?

                    The rules are there for a reason, and while I know sh!t happens I also know that a fighter who has to play it dirty doesn't deserve respect. For many, many years Hopkins was undefeated, but he wasn't getting recognition because he was largely a dirty figher. It wasn't until he defeated Trinidad in a match where he fought clean that the accolades started pouring in.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What can I say, I like Ice Hockey. Need I say more? Ha Ha Ha

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mike Brewer
                        Fair enough. The fight game is entertainment, I guess, so people will watch for whatever part of it entertains them most. If you like seeing guys get hit in the balls and headbutted, I'm sure HBO will take your Pay Per View money without complaints, right?
                        I guess I just like to see guys win at all cost. Something that gets my adrenaline going is seeing a guy getting his Arse kick then respond with a low blow or intentional head butt just to slow his opponent down. Take the foul or hope the ref is not looking then recover in the latter rounds.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mike Brewer
                          Fair enough. The fight game is entertainment, I guess, so people will watch for whatever part of it entertains them most. If you like seeing guys get hit in the balls and headbutted, I'm sure HBO will take your Pay Per View money without complaints, right?
                          I guess I just like to see guys win at all cost. Something that gets my adrenaline going is seeing a guy getting his Arse kick then respond with a low blow or intentional head butt just to slow his opponent down. Take the foul or hope the ref is not looking then recover in the latter rounds.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mike Brewer
                            I'd rather see him do it using some real skill, I guess.
                            What you don't seem to realize Mike Brewer is that you're locked out of the masses. You box. You train others to box. You have become intimate with the subtleties through working with those who know the game. The only opportunity that you get to go back and get the thrill of wild and crazy violence is MMA.

                            I'm laughing as you explain it to Hardball because I know that feeling. That feeling of "No, don't just watch for the violence. There's so much more". I know it has to be a reflex every time you read something like that. Hahahaha.

                            In your mind(if I'm right) that has to be the equivalent of someone saying that they go to NBA games in hopes of a team brawl.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X