bjj books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bjj books?

does anyone recommend any bjj books?...looking to read up on techniques, something with a lot of photos and descriptions. interested in the sport wanted to learn a bit more before taking classes.

One of the best BJJ books is Gene Simco's "BJJ: the Master Text." It's filled with just about every technique found in BJJ... There are good photos and explanations. However, nothing beats personal instruction. I've tried learning from books and videos in the past, but it didn't go well for me personally. Although I did gain a better insight.

Comment

Originally posted by dougiemannice
      does anyone recommend any bjj books?...looking to read up on techniques, something with a lot of photos and descriptions. interested in the sport wanted to learn a bit more before taking classes.
      "Mastering Jiu Jitsu" -Renzo Gracie. It's the one with Renzo on the cover with blue 8oz. gloves.

This book is great because it has very thorough section on the phases of one on one fighting i.e. standup - clinch - groundfighting, plus a hierarchy of all the positions in groundfighting, something I see many other books lacking. It spends not too much time talking about finishes, but rather the positions and how each should be approached - guard, full mount, headmount, etc. No sense going for a finish if you don't have proper positioning and control, right?
      There's also a chapter in there about the "phases of a fight", how they escalate, how they can be avoided, etc. etc.
      Definetly give that a read. Ahhhh Barnes and Noble, how I love thy martial arts section .

Best regards,

Seifer2399

Comment

I haven't seen the Master Text and didn't really get a chance to look through Renzo's book when someone had it.

I really like Passing the Guard by Tim Carmell and Ed Benneville........

great descriptions of each move along with many different camera angles to show how it's done.

Comment

The Gracie Way by Kid Peligro. It explains the origins of the art and what jiu-jitsu is all about. As far as learning jiu-jitsu, find someone to teach you.... you just can't learn from a book.... rolling, rumbling, randori, sparring, whatever you want to call it is essential and the only way you get better is by doing it with someone who is better than you.

Comment

thanks everyone. i'm not looking to learn everything from a book because that would be impossible. but i'd like to have a better idea of what i'm going to be getting into while training.

Comment

Originally posted by dougiemannice
              thanks everyone. i'm not looking to learn everything from a book because that would be impossible. but i'd like to have a better idea of what i'm going to be getting into while training.
              Definitely check out The Gracie Way by Kid peligro. It will give you a great idea of what you are getting into and how it came to be. It's pretty pricey, about 30 bucks, but it's the best overview of what Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is all about and it has some perty pictures :-D

Comment

The Master Text II is by far the best BJJ book. In addition to selling the book, you can get onto Aranha's forum and ask him specific questions that you come up with by using his book.

The Gracie Way is a good read, but only gives you history, no technique. Secret Agent Man did a pretty good write up on this one.

The two books by Renzo, Mastering Jiujitsu and BJJ: Theory and Technique are pretty good as well. Not as many techniques are given, but the color photos, progressions and explanations are good.

Spanky

Comment

I don't see how it's possible to learn from a book

Comment

Reference

I have Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Theory and Technique by Renzo and Royler. I am fairly new to BJJ and I use it for a reference when trying to remember techniques from class.

As stated before it has some good descriptions of techniques shown step by step.

dalessit

Comment

Working...
                    X