Does Royce Gracie teach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Royce Gracie teach?

I mean, does he teach in a school, or does he only do seminars and his travelling law enforcement course? If he does teach in a school, where is it?

Cakegirl

Does nobody know?

Comment

I don't know, and it seems like most of the serious posters on this forum have been on vacation for a few days. Maybe bump the thread later this week if you don't get a response.

Comment

Originally posted by gregimotis
        I don't know, and it seems like most of the serious posters on this forum have been on vacation for a few days. Maybe bump the thread later this week if you don't get a response.

Thanks, Gregimotis, I'll try that.

Cooommmmeee baaaack serious posters!

Cakegirl

Comment

I'm sure some of the California BJJ'ers know the answer. However I do know that he used to teach at the Torrence Gracie academy, but that was awhile back. www.gracieacademy.com

I'm sure you've also checked out www.roycegracie.tv

Comment

Hey,

Is there anyone around here now who knows if Royce teaches in an acadamy nowadays? From his website, I can only see about his travelling police training and his seminars...

Cakegirl

Comment

Hello Cakegirl,

I could be wrong but I think Royce Gracie does mostly seminars now. I believe he has a network of satellite schools in various regions of the U.S. that he divides his time among through visits throughout the year (as well as seminars unrelated to his network of schools). I gathered this from visiting the website of one of his schools in my area (www.gracieva.com). Sorry for not giving a more definitive answer but I hope this helped a little.

Comment

Royce Seminar

I attended a Royce Gracie Seminar Two days ago, which I enjoyed, having been a student of BJJ and a fan of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

However, even though I left having learnt some great new grappling techniques (some I'd have never thought of in a million years), I do always wonder how usefull they would be in a real fight.

Most of the Brazillion Jiu-Jitsu is very much aimed at competitions. Personally, in a confrontation in the street, It'd be fast strikes first and only use grappling as a last resort. I'd want to finish quickly (if possible) and then....... RUN !! before his mates get a hold of me.

Being on the floor on the street is no fun at all, especially as most real fights stem from huge ego's + beer + women in the same place and are rarely one on one.

Royce himself told me that he'd never been in a real street fight... Always competitions with a mat, ref, rules etc.

BJJ is a great art. I'm glad I study it. But the knowledge of a good striking is always a priority.

Comment

Doesn't Royce's new book (one with Kid Peligro) also include self-defense techniques as well? I also think the Machado brothers have improvised some techniques to be applicable in the street. Have you seen the Machado brothers movie, Brazilian Brawl? Although its a low-budget film, it has some cool street moves. At least in my non-expert opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KONY
                    Have you seen the Machado brothers movie, Brazilian Brawl? Although its a low-budget film, it has some cool street moves. At least in my non-expert opinion.
                    I've not seen it. Where can I find it? Cheers!

Comment

I found Brazilian Brawl here. It seems a little hard-to-get.

I'm going to Royce's seminars in Sydney this month...

Cakegirl

Comment

You can rent it at Blockbuster. Like I said, not a top-notch production but it has some cool moves in it and a chance to see most of the Machados in action. Definitely worth a rental, IMO.

Comment

cakegirl, do you have cauliflower ears?

Comment

Originally posted by dkm
                            cakegirl, do you have cauliflower ears?
                            Umm... no!

Why?

Cakegirl

Comment

Working...
                            X