Conditioned response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioned response

What do you think of a term from biology called "conditioned response"This means a response can be made to trigger to a certain stimulii.An example is if you ring a bell while a dog is eating afer a while you can cause it to salivate by ringing the bell.Might have some use in martial arts what do you think?

Originally posted by guy incognito
    What do you think of a term from biology called "conditioned response"This means a response can be made to trigger to a certain stimulii.An example is if you ring a bell while a dog is eating afer a while you can cause it to salivate by ringing the bell.Might have some use in martial arts what do you think?

Actually, this is a psychological term created by Pavlov. The conditioned response happens over a period of time. I guess you could make an argument for conditioned response and MA. The way you train could also produce a conditioned response (positive or negative).

Comment

guy incognito

Originally posted by IPON
      Actually, this is a psychological term created by Pavlov. The conditioned response happens obver a period of time. The way you train could also produce a conditioned response (positive or negative).
      Thats right it was pavlov.We learnt of it in relation to biol though,It raises some interesting applications for MAs.Your conditioned response to one move in a combo is the next move.Also has a lot to do with muscle memory to train and use reflex arcs.

Comment

Biology, hmm actually that makes sense the guy was a a nobel prize winner in biology or chemistry I can't remember, but he was not a psychiologist, though it was a psychological (learning) experiment. I have to think about this one though becasue to have a true CR you need a unconditioned stimulua and a conditioned stimulus and I am trying to think what the unconditioned stimulus would be

Comment

guy incognito

Originally posted by IPON
          Biology, hmm actually that makes sense the guy was a a nobel prize winner in biology or chemistry I can't remember, but he was not a psychiologist, though it was a psychological (learning) experiment. I have to think about this one though becasue to have a true CR you need a unconditioned stimulua and a conditioned stimulus and I am trying to think what the unconditioned stimulus would be
          Yeah ive been beating my head against a wall trying to work it out.Let me know if you do.My friend does anatomy i might ask her.

Comment

Senshido (go here www.senshido.com ) cultivate what they call a reflex or flinch response. You know we would all naturally "flinch" if someone threw a punch at us? They aim to adapt that movement, and make subtle changes that turn it into an effective defence mechanism, even simultaneously striking when defending.

Comment

guy incognito

Originally posted by Thai Bri
              Senshido (go here www.senshido.com ) cultivate what they call a reflex or flinch response. You know we would all naturally "flinch" if someone threw a punch at us? They aim to adapt that movement, and make subtle changes that turn it into an effective defence mechanism, even simultaneously striking when defending.
              Thanx thai that was very usefull/interesting.In tong long we exploit this natural reation to protect the face so this is why im interested in the science behind it.

Comment

theres a slight problem with conditioning yourself to strike at a person who is sticking something (wether a fist or not) in front of your face, you might well start fights with people who were only taking the piss!

Slop

Comment

guy incognito

Originally posted by sloppycoder
                  theres a slight problem with conditioning yourself to strike at a person who is sticking something (wether a fist or not) in front of your face, you might well start fights with people who were only taking the piss!

Slop
                  If your in a fight(not taking the piss).When you attack towards someones Head the natural reaction is to bring the arms up to protect it.You totally missed my point

Comment

guy incognito, it is possible to train one's self to automatic reations to different actions, but I would say to do so is to limit one's self. The quicker your opponent can learn your rythem, the more likely he/she is likely to find your weaknesses and use your automatic responses against you to open up weaknesses. Like the Dragon and the Tiger. The Tiger is a formidable opponent and has quick reactions, but tends to lack actions due to constant practicing the same things. The Dragon however always wins over the tiger, even if somewhat weaker, because it can make split second decisions and variates it's move and attacks as needed. In a fight the quicker you can think and act the better your chances of doing some serious damage to your opponent while avoiding damage, but if you are predictable due to practiced automatic reactions, then you leave yourself vunerable in an attack.

I guess my main point is study as much fighting ways as you can and learn their strengths and weaknesses and try to overcome their weaknesses while amplifying their strengths. Then once you have learned much and such, you need to start weathering your body and mind to work in as strenuous and harsh conditions as possible, so that if the worst of the worst does come, you can have a clear mind and unbreaking body and will.

Comment

guy incognito

What im trying tom say is this(and im sorry i havent made myself clear,its my fault)We draw out these automatic responses from our opponents not rely on them for defence.Although i do agree with your toughs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by guy incognito
                        What im trying tom say is this(and im sorry i havent made myself clear,its my fault)We draw out these automatic responses from our opponents not rely on them for defence.Although i do agree with your toughs as well.
                        That thoughts not toughs

Comment

guy,
                          try the little blue button, there just under your post that says "edit"

Comment

guy,
                            try the little button, there just under your post that says "edit". the one next to the button that says "reply"

Comment

Ha! Thanx man but ive long since found that feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X